Belize Highlands, Islands & Tikal
7 Nights/8 Days – Guaranteed Departure – Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat (Minimum 2 persons)
Level of Difficulty: Moderate
Highlights: Xunantunich & Barton Creek Cave, Caracol & Mountain Pine Ridge, Tikal, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley
Day 1 – Welcome to Belize:
Meet and Greet on arrival at the Belize International Airport. Depart at 3:30 PM for transfer by shuttle service to Western Belize where you will be for 4 overnights.
Day 2 - Xunantunich & Barton Creek Cave (B/L):
Board a 19th century hand-cranked ferry which will take you across the Mopan River to the Maya ruins of Xunantunich (Maya for "Maiden of the Rock') which sits just inside the Western border of Belize and Guatemala. The ruins are actually located on one of the highest plateaus in the area and it is possible to climb to the top of "El Castillo", the largest of the temples at this site. From this vantage point, one gains a panoramic view of the Cayo District and nearby Guatemala.
Next, we continue to Barton Creek Cave in Amish territory. Gently paddle your canoe into Xibalba (she-bal-ba), Maya for underworld. As you glide through the cave you will be dazzled by the glistening crystalline formations and awed by the Maya artifacts secretly tucked away in overhead alcoves.
Day 3 – Caracol & Mountain Pine Ridge (B/L):
Depart from your hotel and head southwest to the Chiquibul Forest Reserve for a visit to the famous Maya site of Caracol (Maya for Snail), the largest Maya city in Belize. This site in size rivals that of neighboring Tikal. "Canaa", the largest and most impressive temple at this site is still the highest structure in the country. From here one has a panoramic view of a vast empire that once was. The lush primary rainforest vista gives one the sense of peaceful silence interrupted only by a startled bird call or howl of a monkey. Picnic lunch while at Caracol. In the afternoon you will continue your exploration in the Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve with sightseeing stops made at Rio Frio Cave and Rio On Pools.
DAY 4 – Tikal National Park (B/L):
Take a short drive to the Belize-Guatemala border for Immigration processing before heading to the majestic Tikal (Maya for "Places of Voices") nestled in the dense jungles of Peten in Guatemala. This site has been extensively excavated and restored and is the most recognized of all Maya Ruins in the Central American Region. At the start of the Classic Period, Tikal went to war with neighboring Caracol, located in Belize, and was defeated. Upon arrival at Tikal National Park, you begin the 4-hour tour of the site (including lunch stop), visiting the most important monuments such as, Complex Q, R, Temple IV, Temple III and the Main Plaza, where you will find Temples I and II, the North Acropolis and the Central Acropolis. After visiting the Museum prepare for return drive to the Belize Border and onward transfer to your hotel. (Note: Passport documents required)
DAY 5 – Transfer to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye (B):
Hotel check-out and return transfer to Belize City. Upon arrival in Belize City you will connect on a water taxi for just over 1 hour transfer to the quaint seaside village of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye for 3 nights of island ambiance.
Day 6 – Hol Chan Marine Reserve & Shark Ray Alley (B):
Snorkel the first marine reserve established in Central America - Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Explore the coral reefs as you swim amongst flamboyantly colored tropical fish. Then head to your second snorkel stop, Shark Ray Alley. Friendly reef fish including snappers and jacks dart in and about graceful stingrays and the inquisitive brown nurse sharks for an experience not to be missed. Free afternoon to relax on the beach or more fun in the sea and sun!
DAY 7 – Free day (B):
Free day to explore San Pedro, Ambergris Caye at your leisure. Optional activities that can be pre-booked or purchased locally include: SNUBA, Snorkel Mexico Rocks, Barrier Reef Dive, or Reef Fishing.
Day 8 – Farewell Belize (B):
Morning at leisure. Airport transfer and connect with commuter flight to the Belize International Airport. (Or stay longer and book extension nights on the island!)
- Standard: Midas Resort (Cabana) or similar + Blue Tang Inn (Gardenview Suite) or similar.
- Moderate: San Ignacio Hotel (Standard Balcony) or similar + Banana Beach Resort (1-Bedroom Courtyard Suite) or similar.
- First Class: The Lodge at Chaa Creek (Cottage Collection) + Belizean Shores (Seafront Upper Level Suite) or The Villas at Banyan Bay (Poolview Suite)
- Deluxe: Ka'ana Boutique Resort (Balam Room for Single/Double and Casita for Triple) + Coco Beach Resort (Luxury Hotel Room) or Victoria House (Casita)
- Airport Reception
- Accommodations (4 nights in the Cayo District & 3 nights on Ambergris Caye)
- Hotel Taxes
- Daily Breakfast
- 3 Maya History Tours
- 1 Snorkel Tour
- Professional English speaking guides
- 3 lunches
- Park fees to sites visited (except $10 US park fee to Hol Chan Marine Reserve which is paid directly)
- 1 Water Ferry transfer (Belize City to Ambergris Caye)
- 1 domestic flight (Ambergris Caye to Belize International Airport)
- Hotel transfers
- Government Taxes
- Meals not mentioned
- Bar items with included meals
- Items of personal nature
- Belize Border Crossing fee of $18.75 US per person
- Guatemala Border Crossing fee of $4.00 US per person.
- Peak Season Close-out: December 16, 2010 – January 09, 2011 (This package is not offered for arrivals during peak season due to higher rates and/or minimum night booking restrictions. Customized quotations available upon request.)
- Supplement for upgrade to immediate private transfer upon arrival is: 1 pax - $245.00 US; 2 pax - $125.00 US pp; 3 pax - $60.00 US pp
- Single Rate is based on a Single traveler in a party of 2 or more; the Supplement for Single Alone Traveler is $769.00 US.
- Bookings within 45 days of arrival will be accepted only if it joins a scheduled departure date.
- 25% deposit due within 21 days of booking confirmation
- Final balance due 45 days prior to arrival.
- If booking is made within 45 days of arrival full payment is due immediately.
- Full refund less $100.00 administrative fee if cancelled 46 days or more prior to arrival
- Cancellations inside of 45 days from start of clients' travel will be assessed a 5% cancellation penalty of invoice value or the $100 administration fee, whichever is greater, plus any airline, hotel, or other supplier penalties.
- "No Shows" will be subject to a 100% cancellation fee based on the full cost of services.
- Once travel has commenced, no refunds will be issued for unused portions of packages and tours.
- All refunds justified will be made to the supplier originating the business transactions with Discovery Expeditions Belize Ltd.
Hotels listed are suggested options but are not guaranteed until booking confirmation. Alternative hotels of similar type, quality and pricing will be substituted if necessary.