7 Nights/8 Days - Guaranteed Departure - Tues, Sat (Minimum 2 persons)
Level of Difficulty: Low
Highlights: Cave Tubing & Zipride, Xunantunich & Barton Creek Caves, The Belize Zoo, Hol Chan Marine Reserve & Shark Ray Alley
Day 1 – Welcome to Belize:
Meet and Greet on arrival at the Belize International Airport. Transfer to Belize City area hotel for overnight.
Day 2 – Cave Tubing & Zipride (Lunch included):
Hotel check-out and Embark on 1 hour drive via the Western Highway to Caves Branch Outpost, your adventure headquarters for the day. The Outpost is located a few hundred feet from the Caves Branch River and its winding waterway through the ancient caves once inhabited by the Maya. Become a “Zip rider” today as you connect to a series of overhead cables criss-crossing the rainforest canopy.
The zipline course features a “beginner’s zip run” of only 150 feet. Six other zip runs range in length from 200’ to 600’ between treetop platforms secured in the canopy of tropical hardwood trees. Intriguing karst limestone cliffs provide a scenic backdrop as you zip through the rainforest canopy. This zipline course is truly unforgettable and second to none in Central America and the Caribbean. It is fully insured and also certified by the Association of Challenge Course Technology (ACCT).
Your Cave Tubing adventures starts with a jungle trail hike where your guide will point out various plants, roots, and herbs once used by the ancient Maya. The entrance tunnel that heads into the underground cave system is the start of an “eye opening” adventure. Your guide hands out head-lamps, and you are ready to float in inflated inner tubes assisted by gentle currents taking you through the cave system. Intricate crystalline formations line the caves and stalagmites and stalactites add to the serene opulence of nature. Select your lunch from a wide range of buffet items from the “Canopy Café” at Caves Branch Outpost.
Continuation drive via the Western Highway en route to the Cayo (pronounced Ky-o) District for 3 nights.
Day 3 - Xunantunich & Barton Creek Caves (Lunch included):
Board a 19th century hand-cranked ferry which will take you across the Mopan River to the Maya ruins of Xunantunich (Maya for “Maiden of the Rock’) which sits just inside the Western border of Belize and Guatemala. The ruins are actually located on one of the highest plateaus in the area and it is possible to climb to the top of “El Castillo”, the largest of the temples at this site. From this vantage point, one gains a panoramic view of the Cayo District and nearby Guatemala.
Next, we continue to Barton Creek Cave in Amish territory. Gently paddle your canoe into Xibalba (she-bal-ba), Maya for underworld. As you glide through the cave you will be dazzled by the glistening crystalline formations and awed by the Maya artefacts secretly tucked away in overhead alcoves.
Day 4 – Free day / Optional Tours:
Free day to explore Western Belize at your leisure. Optional activities that can be pre-booked or purchased locally include: visit to an ancient Maya city (Caracol, Cahal Pech, Tikal), cave exploration (Actun Tunichil Muknal, Barton Creek Caves), horseback riding, and river canoeing.
Day 5 – Belize’s Wildlife Sanctuary - Belize Zoo (EP):
Your adventure begins as you head for the wildlife habitat known as the Belize Zoo for an introduction to the country's diverse fauna. The Zoo was created as a sanctuary for the country’s indigenous species and is now home for an impressive array of large cats, primates, reptiles and birds. Jaguars, tapirs, toucan and jabirus are but a few of the exotic species for photo opportunities. A visit to the Zoo gives you the opportunity to see Belize’s amazing wildlife in one location.
Continuation drive to Belize City where you will connect on a water taxi for just over 1 hour transfer to the quaint seaside village of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye for 3 nights of island ambience.
Day 6 – Hol Chan Marine Reserve & Shark Ray Alley (EP):
Snorkel the first marine reserve established in Central America - Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Explore the coral reefs as you swim amongst flamboyantly colored tropical fish. Then head to your second snorkel stop, Shark Ray Alley. Friendly reef fish including snappers and jacks dart in and about graceful stingrays and the inquisitive brown nurse sharks for an experience not to be missed.
Free afternoon to relax on the beach or more fun in the sea and sun!
Day 7 – Free days / Optional Tours (EP):
Free days to explore San Pedro, Ambergris Caye at your leisure. Optional activities that can be pre-booked or purchased locally include: SNUBA, Sea Trek, Barrier Reef Dive, or Reef Fishing.
Day 8 – Farewell Belize (EP):
Morning at leisure. Airport transfer and connect with commuter flight to the Belize International Airport. (Or stay longer and book extension nights on the island!)
- Airport Reception
- Accommodations (1 night in Belize City, 3 nights in the Cayo District and 3 nights on Ambergris Caye)
- Hotel Taxes
- 4 Excursions as outlined in itinerary with professional English speaking guides
- 2 Lunch on tour
- Park fees to sites visited (except $10 US park fee to Hol Chan Marine Reserve which is paid directly)
- 1 Water Taxi transfer from Belize City to Ambergris Caye
- 1 Domestic flight from Ambergris Caye to Belize International Airport
- Hotel transfers
- Government Taxes.
- Meals not mentioned
- Bar items with included meals
- Items of personal nature
- This package is not offered for arrivals during Christmas/New Year’s (Dec 19 – Dec 31/2010) and Easter (April 20 – 24/2011) due to higher rates and/or minimum night booking restrictions. Customized quotations available upon request.
- Bookings within 45 days of arrival will be accepted only if it joins a scheduled departure date.
- 7 to 12 years - 25% discount
- 3 – 6 years – 50% discount
- infants 2 years & under – Free of charge.
- 25% deposit due within 21 days of booking confirmation
- Final balance due 45 days prior to arrival.
- If booking is made within 45 days of arrival full payment is due immediately.
- Cancellation Policy: Full refund less $100.00 administrative fee if cancelled 46 days or more prior to arrival; Cancellations inside of 45 days from start of clients' travel will be assessed a 5% cancellation penalty of invoice value or the $100 administration fee, whichever is greater, plus any airline, hotel, or other supplier penalties. "No Shows" will be subject to a 100% cancellation fee based on the full cost of services. Once travel has commenced, no refunds will be issued for unused portions of packages and tours. All refunds justified will be made to the supplier originating the business transactions with Discovery Expeditions Belize Ltd.
NOTE: Hotels listed are suggested options but are not guaranteed until booking confirmation. Alternative hotels of similar type, quality and pricing will be substituted if necessary.